It would appear that BlackBerry are now on the patent offensive. After filing a patent suit againstÃ‚Â Avaya two weeks ago, BlackBerry has filed twoÃ‚Â patent lawsuits in the United States, this time againstÃ‚Â BLU Products.
Filed on AugustÃ‚Â 16, 2016 in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, BlackBerry claims BLUÃ‚Â has infringed fifteenÃ‚Â of its U.S. patents,
The complaint states that BlackBerry offered BLU a patent license in a letter dated November 21, 2015 and a follow up letter December 8, 2015, but the company failed to respond.
The first case alleges seven patents relate to battery, API, messaging, and imaging technologies. The second case alleges eight patents, which are Standards Essential Patents (SEPs) and were declared to the standards setting organizations (SSOs) when the various working groups were developing new technologies.
The 15 patents are as follows:
- 7,969,924 – Method and apparatus for state/mode transitioning
- 8,483,060 – Method for configuring a telecommunication system
- 8,406,118 – Scattered pilot pattern and channel estimation method for MIMO-OFDM systems
- 8,472,567 – Detecting the number of transmit antennas in a base station
- 8,265,034 – Method and system for a signaling connection release indication
- 8,625,506 – System and method for determining establishment causes
- 7,933,355 – Systems, devices, and methods for training sequence, transmission, and reception
- 7,050,413 – Information transmission method, mobile communications system, base station and mobile station in which data size of identification data is reduced
- 8,489,868 – Software code signing system and method
- 8,713,466 – Dynamic bar oriented user interface
- 8,402,384 – Dynamic bar oriented user interface
- 8,411,845 – Handheld electronic device having improved phone call log, and associated method
- 6,271,605 – Battery disconnect system
- 8,745,149 – Handheld electronic device and associated method providing time data in a messaging environment
- 8,169,449 – System compositing images from multiple applications
[signoff predefined=”Enjoy this?” icon=”users”][/signoff]