Ionic Security today announced it is working with Microsoft to offer enterprises a strategic solution that extends the Microsoft Azure Information Protection (AIP) platform to interoperate with Ionic Security’s best-in-class cross-cloud data trust platform.
Through this collaboration, which has been in development for over a year with some of the world’s largest enterprises, Ionic and Microsoft are working together on a first-of-its-kind solution: Ionic Data Trust Services for Microsoft AIP. This technology empowers joint customers – the world’s largest banks, insurance providers, management consulting firms, defense agencies, and technology companies – to bring a common access control, privacy, accountability, and integrity plane to data natively inside Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Azure, across cloud providers, and within custom line-of-business applications.
To enable such a seamless end-user experience and consistent management framework for enterprises, Microsoft has developed a new extensibility model for AIP’s policy decision-making functionality, with Ionic Security delivering advanced data access and privacy decisions consistent with broad corporate policy.
This joint solution solves two of the toughest challenges the security market wrestles with on behalf of customers: Usability and Policy Consistency. By extending the policy decision-making framework for AIP to interoperate with third-party services such as Ionic Security’s real-time data trust platform, enterprises now have a consistent management framework for all their data while maintaining a native user experience in one of the world’s most pervasive business productivity solutions, Office 365, across mobile, web and desktop environments.
“We are excited to join forces with Microsoft to enable a powerful, yet simple, story for the world’s enterprises. Native end-user experiences are proven to be the most successful way to achieve security in a large organization. Eliminating plugins with innovative interoperability between Ionic Data Trust Services and Azure Information Protection, we are bringing one of the most advanced cross-cloud capabilities powered by Ionic Security to the native user experience of Microsoft Office 365 customers,” said Adam Ghetti, Founder and Chief Technology Officer of Ionic Security.
Through this collaboration, Ionic Security will be able to benefit from Microsoft’s encryption powering its Azure Information Protection and Active Directory Rights Management Service offerings for use with Ionic solutions for Office 365, PDFs, and other AIP-natively-supported file types.
“Our customers choose Microsoft 365 and Azure to deliver continuous innovation, and do so securely. With our new extensibility framework for Azure Information Protection, and together with Ionic Security, we are helping to change the narrative of how simple it is to bring advanced security, risk, and trust management capabilities natively to some of the most utilized business productivity solutions worldwide,” said Gagan Gulati, Head of Product for Azure Information Protection at Microsoft.
The companies are also pleased to announce that the limited-preview of the new extensibility model for the on-premises Hold Your Own Key (HYOK) solution is available now for select customers, and that the new extensibility model will be made available later this year for Azure-powered Bring Your Own Key (BYOK) solutions.
Key features of the immediately available limited-preview include:
- Seamless end user experience – This integration operates wherever the AIP-enlightened applications exist. The Ionic Data Trust platform can natively control the release of key material to the full range of Windows, OSX, mobile devices, Office applications, email clients, web clients, and more.
- Policy Extensibility – The Ionic Data Trust platform supports integration with multiple Policy Information Points (PIPs), which enables enterprises to leverage not only the document classification, but real-time user posture—including attributes beyond the Microsoft ecosystem — to enrich decisions around releasing AIP keys for access to AIP-encrypted document data. This flexible, just-in-time policy decision framework provides lineage-level visibility over access requests and access decisions
- Attribute Extensibility – Enterprises can protect their highest-confidentiality data with the breadth of attributes and flexibility of real-time changes provided by the Ionic Data Trust platform, extending Microsoft’s notion of conditional access to the full set of attributes available to the enterprise, including those within Line-of-business applications, for policy consideration.
- Hold Your Own Key – Because the integration available today operates in AIP’s Hold Your Own Key (HYOK) configuration, enterprises keep control of their own keys for highly confidential data, on premise, as well as extend their policy decision-making beyond the Microsoft ecosystem.
- Policy Localization – The distributed and hybrid technology architecture of the Ionic Data Trust platform enables multi-national organizations to jurisdictionally localize where policy information lives and is enforced while still providing global shared services with native end-user experiences.
- Cross Cloud Consistency – Because the Ionic Data Trust platform is the leading cross-cloud data trust service provider, enterprises are now able to have a single point of policy definition, encryption key management, and policy enforcement while being able to leverage the best technologies from the major cloud providers.
- (Coming later in 2018): Azure powered BYOK services will be able to make use of each of the above listed features, and provide seamless interoperability between BYOK and HYOK powered workflows.