BlackBerry today announced the latest in its series of most secure Android smartphones, DTEK60. As part of BlackBerry’s transition towards a device software licensing strategy – which allows it to focus on putting “the smart in the phone” – the DTEK60’s hardware is manufactured by TCL and comes equipped with the trusted security software BlackBerry is known for.
It is now available for sale at ShopBlackBerry in North America and Europe and will roll out to other regions in coming weeks.
DTEK60 is the second device in the DTEK series of Android smartphones. It provides enterprises and organizations with full access to the Android ecosystem and higher-end specs to help power productivity. It comes equipped with all the security features that BlackBerry’s Android OS devices have, including best-in-class security patching and the DTEK by BlackBerry app that allows users to monitor and control their privacy on their phone.
Ralph Pini, Chief Operating Officer and General Manager of Mobility Solutions at BlackBerry said,
“With the DTEK60, BlackBerry continues to focus on our strengths: state-of-the-art software and security solutions. When you see our logo it means security, from our class-leading enterprise software to devices secured by BlackBerry software,”
Features available on the DTEK60 include:
- Fingerprint Sensor: For quick and convenient turn on and unlock, the BlackBerry Fingerprint Sensor provides added security for unlocking your phone, accessing Password Keeper and making purchases – including Android Pay. Add up to five fingerprints which are fully encrypted with security you can trust.
- BlackBerry Intelligent Keyboard: DTEK60 has a smart keyboard designed to learn from users and increase typing accuracy and speed. It provides word suggestions as you type and includes up to three languages, letting you flick them into place for faster conversations.
- BlackBerry Hub: This unified inbox is an irreplaceable tool for consolidating all of your messages in one place – whether it is email, calendar, social or phone calls.
- Customizable BlackBerry Convenience Key: With the press of a button, the Convenience Key provides quick access to your most used applications and more.
- Stunning Screen: DTEK60 has a 5.5″ Quad HD display, capable of displaying 16 million colors. The screen is made of scratch-resistant glass and features a specialized oleophobic coating to protect against smudges and fingerprints.
- Expandable Memory: With support for micro SD cards up to 2 TB, DTEK60 provides the flexibility to add affordable and hot-swappable memory to download, install, capture and share as your needs evolve.
- Dazzling Camera: DTEK60 is engineered to deliver professional-looking photos with an 8MP front facing camera and a 21MP auto-focus rear camera. Plus, features like Phase Detection Auto Focus and a dual-tone LED flash are designed to help the camera focus instantly and accurately for a blur-free, realistic looking photos, even in low light.
- Long Lasting Battery: DTEK60 packs a 3000 mAh battery with enough power to withstand up to 24 hours of mixed use.
The device also comes equipped with the security and productivity features that past Android for BlackBerry devices have included:
- Rapid Security Patching: BlackBerry has a record of being the quickest to deliver security patches, setting the bar in incident response and patch management to protect your device from malicious threats.
- DTEK™ by BlackBerry App: Enables users to automatically monitor their OS and apps to know when their privacy could be at risk and to take action to improve it. The DTEK app also monitors applications and notifies you when someone is: taking pictures or videos without your knowledge, turning your microphone on, sending a text message, or accessing your contacts or location.
- Hardware Root of Trust: BlackBerry uses a proprietary technique that adds security from the start, allowing for the tracking, verification and provisioning of the DTEK60.
- Secure Boot Process: Starting with the root of trust, each stage of DTEK60’s secure boot chain must first verify that the next component is fully intact before proceeding, ensuring your device has not been tampered with since the last restart.
- Android OS hardening: BlackBerry provides additional security patches, improves upon Android’s native Address Space Layout Randomization and reduces the number of system applications and services running with elevated permissions. This makes it more difficult for attackers to compromise the OS.
- FIPS 140-2 Compliant Full Disk Encryption: Protects your private information, like pictures or bank information, from being stolen if you were to lose your phone.
- Android™ for Work and Google Play™ for Work: Allows for fast, simple and secure integration with an enterprise environment as well as easy access to numerous rich business and IT-managed apps.
- Full Enterprise Mobility Management Support: DTEK60 supports BlackBerry’s powerful suite of EMM applications and secure productivity solutions, including: WatchDox by BlackBerry for secure file-sharing, Good Work for business-class email and collaboration tools, Strong Authentication by BlackBerry as a VPN solution, SecuSUITE for Enterprise for secure voice and instant messaging communication, BBM Protected for encrypted messaging and BES12 for secure cross-platform management.
Availability and Pricing
Starting today, DTEK60 is available to purchase from ShopBlackBerry.com in the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands for $499 USD ($650 CDN, €579 and £475). Availability of DTEK60 in additional global channels and countries will be announced in the coming weeks.
Customers who order DTEK60 fromwill receive a complimentary accessory bundle. US and Canada customers will receive a DTEK60 Soft Shell and Rapid Charger for free and customers in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands will receive a DTEK60 Pocket Case and Rapid Charger for free. This offer expires on November 8th at 11:59 pm PST.vc_column_text]
|Size||153.9 mm x 75.4 mm x 6.99 mm|
2560 x 1440, 16:9 aspect ratio, 534 ppi, AMOLED
|Navigation||All-touch screen, with intuitive gesture based navigation|
|Keyboard||On screen BlackBerry Keyboard; Contextual auto-correction, next-word|
prediction and a personalised learning engine that gets to know the way you
type with on screen flick typing or seamless flow typing
|Dedicated Keys||Volume Up/Down, Lock (Power On/Off), Customizable BlackBerry|
Convenience Key usable as Mute Key when on an Active Call
|Memory||4 GB RAM|
32 GB Flash
Hot-swappable MicroSD slot (up to 2 TB)
|Ports||USB Type-C Connector at bottom of device (USB 2.0 supported)|
|Battery||3000 mAh non-removable Lithium Ion battery|
24 hours mixed use
QC 3.0 Fast Charge Capable
|Rear Camera||21 MP Auto-Focus, Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF), Fast focus lock,|
HDR, 6-element f2.0 lens, dual tone LED Flash — Enhanced photo color
balance, 4x digital zoom, Continuous & touch to focus, face detection,
video image stabilization, Full manual controls, Panorama, Burst, Live
Filters, Multi-Frame Low Light Enhancement, 4K HD Video Recording at 30 fps, 720p HD Video Recording at 120 fps
|Front Camera||8 MP Fixed-Focus, f2.2, 1.125um pixel size, 84° wide angle / fi eld of view|
lens, HDR, Live Filters, video image stabilization, Multi-Frame Low Light
Enhancement, 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps, Selfi e Flash, Wide
|Network Bands||North America and Latin America|
FD-LTE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20, 29
HSPA+ 1, 2, 4, 5, 8 (2100/1900/1700/850/900 MHz)
Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific
FD-LTE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28A
TD-LTE 38, 40, 41 (2600/2300/2500 MHz)
HSPA+ 1, 2, 4, 5/6, 8 (2100/1900/1700/850/900 MHz)
Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
|Wi-Fi®||Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz, 802.11 a/n 5GHz, 802.11 ac 5GHz,|
4G Mobile Hotspot, Wi-Fi Direct
|Bluetooth®||Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy (LE) and EDR|
|GPS||Assisted, Autonomous and Simultaneous GPS, GLONASS, Beidou,|
Pre-loaded Google Maps
|NFC||NFC technology is used to create a connection to share information between|
your BlackBerry device and other NFC-enabled devices or NFC tags
BlackBerry Keyboard, BlackBerry Hub, BlackBerry Calendar, Contacts by BlackBerry, Notes by BlackBerry, Tasks by BlackBerry, BlackBerry Camera, BBM, DTEK by BlackBerry, BlackBerry Device Search, BlackBerry Launcher, BlackBerry Services, BlackBerry Help, BlackBerry Password Keeper, Microsoft® exFAT Technology for BlackBerry, BlackBerry Content Transfer, Yahoo!® Finance.
Gmail,™ Hangouts,™ Google Chrome,™ Google Drive,™ Google Maps,™ YouTube,™ Google Play,™ Photos, Messenger (SMS), Clock.