All-new Fire TV Stick Comes to UK with Amazon Alexa
Amazon UK today announced its new Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote. 30 percent faster than the previous version, the all-new Fire TV Stick is fast, powerful, and is the first UK version to ship with an Alexa Voice Remote included—all for just £39.99.
With the new Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, customers have access to a completely redesigned interface that makes finding what to watch even easier and more enjoyable. Fire TV Stick offers a new cinematic experience, delivering video trailers and content screenshots to help customers access the content they want—without the need to open and close multiple apps.
The new Fire TV stick, which goes on order today for £39.99 and ships on 6 April, will be the first of Amazon’s smart TV boxes to gain access to Alexa in the UK. Until now, users have been restricted to a more basic voice-recognition search. It will also come with Amazon’s new version of its Fire TV interface, which has been cleaned up, modernised and made faster.
Jorrit Van der Meulen, Vice President, Amazon Devices International said,
“Fire TV Stick is our fastest-selling UK device ever, and has 37,000 5-star customer reviews—today we’re making it even better,”
“The all-new Amazon Fire TV Stick has been completely redesigned with incredible performance, powerful voice search and the included Alexa-powered remote to deliver fast access to a vast selection of movies, TV shows, games and Alexa skills—all for just £39.99.”
Netflix subscribers looking for Breaking Bad using voice search, for instance, will be shown the option to jump straight to Netflix, but will also be given the option to buy episodes from Amazon’s video store. Users will always be shown the option to watch searched-for content through one of their included subscriptions first, rather than always directed to buy media from Amazon.
This open mentality also means that third-party services can provide direct recommendations to users through an app- or service-specific recommendation carousel. Netflix is the first to provide such recommendations in the UK, but Amazon hopes to have similar recommendations from other third-party services such as the BBC’s iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and My5, which all have apps available for the Fire TV.
- Great content selection—With over 7,000 channels, apps, and Alexa skills, and access to thousands of movies and TV episodes, it’s easy to find great content on Fire TV. Customers can choose from popular services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My5, Curzon Home Cinema DisneyLife, BBC News and BBC Sport, as well as Prime Video, Amazon Video and many more – and watch live TV on BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub.
- Fast and accurate voice search powered by Alexa—Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote responds quickly and lets you easily search across apps and channels. Just say “find suspense thrillers” or “open Netflix” and Alexa will respond. For Amazon Video content, you can also control playback with just your voice; just ask Alexa to “go back 30 seconds” or “jump ahead two minutes.”
- Just ask Alexa—Alexa is the cloud-based voice service that powers devices like Amazon Echo, Echo Dot—and now Fire TV Stick. Alexa is always getting smarter and developers continue building new experiences, with thousands of skills already available and tens of thousands of developers globally building more. With the included Alexa Voice Remote, customers can easily ask Alexa to get the news and weather, check their commute, get sports scores, create shopping lists, play music, order a car from Uber or takeaway from Just Eat, and much more.
- Stunning video quality—With an ultra-fast quad-core processor, 802.11ac MIMO Wi-Fi and Advanced Streaming and Prediction (ASAP) for Amazon Video, you can rely on fast, fluid performance without buffering. Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote also offers support for High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC), giving customers more 1080p HD streams from their existing internet connection.
- Effortless setup—Plug the Fire TV Stick into an HDTV, attach the power adapter, connect to Wi-Fi, and start streaming in minutes. Quickly find things to watch using the included Alexa Voice Remote, or discover more to watch with personalised recommendations right from the home screen. The Fire TV Stick is also portable, making it easy to take it almost anywhere and watch all your favourite content away from home.
- Accessibility features—Fire TV Stick offers several features to support access by visually impaired customers. These include the VoiceView screen reader, automatic reading of programme information, high contrast text for easier viewing, and more.
Jason Parrish, principal product manager for Amazon Fire TV, said
“All we’re trying to do is match users to content they might like as fast and as smoothly as possible.”
The all-new Fire TV Stick is the only streaming media stick with a voice remote, and is available for pre-order starting today from Amazon UK, shipping to customers from 6th April.
The all-new Fire TV Stick will also be available at Dixons Carphone, Argos, John Lewis, Tesco, Maplin and Shop Direct.
[signoff predefined=”Enjoy this?” icon=”users”][/signoff]