BlackBerry has today unveiledÃ‚Â BlackBerry Secure Connect Plus, using the BlackBerry Cloud Connector. For Enterprise Developers working withÃ‚Â Hybrid environments, this is a feature that many developers have been waiting for.
The BlackBerry Cloud Connector is a Java process that provides a secure connection through your firewall for communication between BES12 Cloud and your company directory. You install theBlackBerry Cloud Connector behind your organization’s firewall. Using the management console, you activate the BlackBerry Cloud Connector with BES12 Cloud and you connect it to the company directory.
You can configure the BlackBerry Cloud Connector to send data to and from BES12 Cloud through a proxy server that is behind your organizationÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s firewall.
Your end point needs to be a Windows server, and once installed you create an activation key which you then paste into the cloud page.
Installing the BlackBerry Cloud Connector
You can install, activate, and configure the BlackBerry Cloud Connector to establish a secure connection between your organization’s resources and BES12 Cloud. If you install the BlackBerry Cloud Connector, your organization can take advantage of the following features:
- BES12 Cloud can access your organization’s company directory. You can create directory user accounts by searching for and importing user data from the company directory. Directory user accounts are different from local user accounts, which you create by manually adding user information in the management console.
- BES12 Cloud synchronizes user data with the company directory daily. You can configure when the automatic synchronization begins. You can also start the synchronization process manually for an individual.
- Directory users can use their directory credentials to access BES12 Self-Service.
- You can assign an administrative role to directory users to make them administrators. The users can then log in to the management console using their directory credentials.
The installation and activation files for theBlackBerry Cloud Connector are available from the management console.
Download the installation and activation files
- In the BES12 Cloud management console, on the menu bar, click Settings.
- In the left pane, click External integration > BlackBerry Cloud Connector.
- Click Add BlackBerry Cloud Connector.
- In the Step 1: Download BlackBerry Cloud Connector section, click Download.
- On the software download page, answer the required questions and click Download. Save theBlackBerry Cloud Connector installation file (.exe).
- In the Step 2: Generate and download activation file section, click Generate and download activation file.
- Save the activation file (.txt).
The activation file is valid for 60 minutes. If you wait longer than 60 minutes before you use the activation file, repeat steps 6 and 7 to generate a new activation file. Only the latest activation file is valid.
Install and configure the BlackBerry Cloud Connector
- Open the BlackBerry Cloud Connector installation file (.exe) that you downloaded from the management console.If a Windows message appears and requests permission to make changes to the computer, clickYes.
- Choose your language. Click OK.
- On the splash screen, click Next.
- Select your country or region. Read and accept the license agreement. Click Next.
- The installation program verifies that your computer meets the installation requirements. ClickNext.
- To change the installation file path, click … and navigate to the file path that you want to use (optional). Click Install.
- When the installation completes, click Next.
A console addresses panel for the BlackBerry Cloud Connector opens.
- To open the BlackBerry Cloud Connector management console, click the link on the console addresses panel before you close the setup application, or manually enter the address in your browser. Click Close to close the setup application.
- Select your language. Click Next.
- When you activate the BlackBerry Cloud Connector, it sends data over HTTPS to enroll withBES12. After it is activated, the BlackBerry Cloud Connector sends and receives data over TCP. If you want to send data through a proxy behind your organization’s firewall.
- In the Friendly name field, type a name for the BlackBerry Cloud Connector. Click Next.
- Click Browse. Select the activation file that you downloaded from the management console.
- Click Activate.
- In the drop-down list, click the type of company directory that your organization uses.
- Click Configure.
- Follow the steps for your organizationÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s directory type
For more information on installing the BlackBerry Cloud Connector, check on the online docs.