BlackBerry have added new features to BBM ProtectedÃ‚Â giving users more of what they want and IT and compliance leaders more of what they need from an enterprise messaging tool.
BBM Protected allows employees to take advantage of the speed, reliability and privacy of BBM for faster communication, collaboration and decision making while providing security conscious organizations enhanced security over corporate data.
BBM Protected is the ideal business communication tool because it is mobile and immediate. Unlike enterprise IM tools that were originally designed for use on the desktop, BBM Protected offers a truly mobile experience, on the devices employees prefer.
BBM Protected is built for action. One-to-one chats, group discussions and file sharing all happen with an immediacy thatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s hard to achieve any other way. Knowing when their messages have been received and read, teams can collaborate with confidence, in real-time. Instantly, employees can boost their productivity and responsiveness, too.
- BBM Protected Video:Ã‚Â Allows users to communicate securely via live video. For example, a military manufacturing contractor could send video of a malfunctioning machine to a repair center to expedite service and ensure the proper replacement parts are shipped.
- Picture-Saving Controls:Ã‚Â Allows IT to control whether users can save photos shared within BBM Protected. For example, a financial services agent can send a photo snapshot of a customer record to another person in the organization, but the receiver canÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t store the image offline.
- Message Forwarding:Ã‚Â Enables end-users to forward message content from one chat to another. For example, a triage nurse chatting with another nurse over BBM Protected can forward patient details to the emergency room physician on duty.
BBM Protected is designed to provide full end-to-end message and video encryption from the time a BBM Protected user sends a message or begins a video chat to when the recipient receives the message or the video chat is ended.
It incorporates three layers of security.
- BBM Protected introduces a new layer of encryption to the existing BBM security model.
- Messages between BBM Protected users are encrypted using a PGP like model. The sender and recipient have unique public/private encryption and signing keys.
- These keys are generated on the device, by the FIPS 140-2 certified cryptographic library, and are controlled by the enterprise.
- Each message uses a new random symmetric key for message encryption.
- A Triple DES 168-bit BBM scrambling key encrypts messages on the senderÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s smartphone, and is used to authenticate and decrypt messages on the recipientÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s phone.
- TLS encryption between the smartphone and the BBM infrastructure helps protect BBM messages from eavesdropping or manipulation.
BBM Protected builds upon the proven BlackBerry security model, trusted by security conscious organizations around the world. The secure root of trust starts in BlackBerry smartphone hardware and extends up through software and application layers helping to protect BBM messages at all times when they are at rest on the device. BBM on iOS and Android protects your BBM messages at rest by using AES to encrypt the BBM database, encryption and signing keys.
All the added security offered by BBM Protected happens in the background. When a BBM Protected user sends a message, their conversation defaults to the added level of encryption, even if the recipient is a non-BBM Protected user. This enables a BBM Protected user to extend an enterprise-grade security interaction with contacts such as clients, customers and partners.
Single app for all chats Ã¢â‚¬â€œ inside and outside the company
Employees use the same BBM app to securely message colleagues inside the company as they do to chat with customers and partners outside the company. BBM Protected works seamlessly across companies without any complex server federation.
Designed for mobile. Built for speed.
BBM offers a better mobile experience than enterprise IM clients that originated on desktop. It allows chats, group discussions, video communications, file sharing, and BBM Voice calls to happen with speed and mobility you canÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t get over email. If a coworker isnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t already a BBM Contact, simply find them in the BBM Protected Cloud Directory Service, start a BBM Chat and add them automatically.
Know when a message is read
Employees can communicate confidently with delivery and read notifications that let them know the other person has received and actually saw their message. Even in multi-person chats, BBM Protected users can see which contacts have read messages.
These new enhancements for BBM Protected are an integral part of updates to BlackBerryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s enterprise software portfolio under the Good Secure EMM Suites portfolio. This also includes the integration of Good and WatchDox products into BlackBerryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s multi-OS enterprise mobility management (EMM) solution, BES12.
You can purchase an annual subscription to BBM Protected from the BlackBerry Store.