BlackBerry has announced thatÃ‚Â BBM Protected services are now available to iOS and Android devices.
BBM Protected offers an enterprise-grade secure instant messaging service with all the features of a consumer IM app, the hardening of on-premise security together with the convenience of a cloud service. All messages are encrypted using keys generated by the communicating mobile devices themselves.
BBM Protected is designed to provide full end-to-end message encryption from the time a BBM Protected user sends a message to when the recipient receives the message. It incorporates three layers of security.
- BBM Protected introduces a new layer of encryption to the existing BBM security model.
- Messages between BBM Protected users are encrypted using a PGP like model. The sender and recipient have unique public/private encryption and signing keys.
- These keys are generated on the device, by the FIPS 140-2 certified cryptographic library, and are controlled by the enterprise.
- BBM and BlackBerry are not involved in brokering the key exchanges, so at no time are they stored within the BlackBerry infrastructure.
- Each message uses a new random symmetric key for message encryption.
- A Triple DES 168-bit BBM scrambling key encrypts messages on the senderÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s smartphone, and is used to authenticate and decrypt messages on the recipientÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s phone.
- TLS encryption between the smartphone and the BBM infrastructure helps protect BBM messages from eavesdropping or manipulation.
BBM Protected on the iPhone requiresÃ‚Â iOS 6 and above and with BBM 2.6 or higher. The Android version requiresÃ‚Â Android 4.0 or higher and with BBM 2.6 or higher.
[signoff predefined=”Enjoy this?” icon=”users”][/signoff]