BlackBerry have released an update to BBM for iOS, bringing the ability for Channel Owners to designate a human or bot channel representative to provide real time responses, spam reporting and more.
Back in October of last year, we reported how BlackBerry were to open up a chatbot application programming interface (API) for BBM, enabling new and existing businesses on BBM with a conversational interface complementing what the company offers with channels & discover services.
This is the beginning of those implementations and means that Channel owners will be able to implement bots in order to provide real time responses to their users. This new capability builds on the channel chat feature. Previously, you could chat with the channel owner but only via phone. Now, a human channel representative or a chatbot program can answer the questions received in chat. When people subscribe to the channel, they see the representative.
BBM for for iOS finally brings the ability to sign up and use BBM via phone numbers. This was one of the most requested features by existing users but those users had no way to add a phone number to their existing accounts. Similar to the latest BBM for Android, BBM for iOS now solves that problem as existing users with e-mail accounts can now add a phone number to their profile. Users will then have the ability to sign in using a phone number or e-mail address.
Anybody who still uses BBM will know that the app has become seriously spam-riddled. Taking that into account, this update brings the ability for users to report invites as spam. At this point in time, there is no information on what will happen to those who are repeatedly reported for spam.
Emtek have integrated better metrics via Google Analytics to provide partners with a view into expanded engagement metrics. Partners can now track their traffic, including the number of unique users, returning users, how long people are staying on their applications, and more.
BBM brings you together in the moment with friends and family through instant chats, voice calls, picture sharing, voice notes and more.
Chat with friends on Android, BlackBerry and iPhone:
- BBM is always on and always connected – no app to open
- Know when messages have been delivered (D’s) and read (R’s)
- Say ‘hello’ with BBM Voice – free voice calling between BBM Contacts
- Quickly share photos, files, documents, voice notes and more
- Allow contacts to view your location live on a map, powered by Glympse
- See when contacts are responding to your message
- Emoticons for every mood and emotion let you express yourself
What’s New Summary:
- Introduced Me and Discover screen into the main navigation menu.
- Updated icons for Chats, Contacts, Feeds, Contacts and Discover
- Combined BBM Groups and group management features into the Chat screen. All chat conversations are in a single place now.
- Moved BBM profile picture to the “Me” menu.
- Introduced ability to swipe left on chat list items to mute conversations.
- Introduced BBM Channels in BBM Discover screen.
- Improved discoverability of channel chat with the introduction of channel representative.
- Channel Owners can designate a human or bot channel representative to provide real time responses.
- Mute conversations by swiping left on items in your chat list
- Existing users with email accounts can add a phone number to their profile to easily find new friends on BBM.
- Introduced ability to sign in using phone number or email.
- BBM Discover screen is in list view for easier discoverability.
- Introduced the ability to report invites as spam.