BBM for Android has received an update bringing improved Android N Quick Reply Support, a UI refresh and more.
Anybody who still uses BBM will know that the app has become seriously spam-riddled and taking that into account, this update improves infrastructure features to reduce spam invites, allowing users to report invites as spam.
At this point in time, there is no information on what will happen to those who are repeatedly reported for spam invites but it may just be the first major step in attempting to combat spam on BBM.
BBM Voice and Video calling receive new icons, the Me and Discover screens has been moved into the main navigation menu, while BBM Groups and group management features have been combined into the Chat screen.
Summary of What’s New:
- Infrastructure features to reduce spam invites
- Updated icons for BBM Voice and Video calling
- Improved quick reply notification support for Android “N”
- Performance improvements and bug reports
- Introduced Me and Discover screen into the main navigation menu.
- Combined BBM Groups and group management features into the Chat screen. All chat conversations are in a single place now.
BBM Video Chat System Requirements and Functionality
- BlackBerry 10 OS required
- BlackBerry 10 smartphones are able to start BBM Video Chats to other BlackBerry 10 smartphones
- BBM Video Chat between BlackBerry 10 and Android or iOS devices is not supported and will provide the option for BBM Voice Chat
- iOS version 8 and later required
- iOS devices are able start BBM Video Chats between other iOS and Android OS devices
- When a BBM Video Chat is started on an iOS device to BlackBerry 10 smartphones, the call will change to a BBM Voice Chat
- Android OS 4.4 (KitKat) and later required
- Android OS devices are able to start BBM Video Chats between other Android OS and iOS devices
- When a BBM Video Chat is started on an Android device to BlackBerry 10 smartphones, the call will change to a BBM Voice Chat
The following is also noted by BlackBerry
- Asus phones (and any mobile device using an Intel chipset) are currently not supported and will establish a BBM Voice Call
- Motorola Moto X (XT1092, XT1095, XT1096) and Lenovo Vibe X (S960) may see one way video, or poor video during a BBM Video Chat